As counterintuitive as it might be, the best flat irons can also be used to curl your hair. In fact, some irons are designed specifically to make this not only possible but also simple. Certain properties such as a 1.25″ width lend themselves to easy curling.
Our #1 Choice
- 1″ floating Ultra Ceramic Plates promotes smooth glide, less frizz & fast heat recovery with one-pass straightening
- 450° heat combines vapor technology for quick styling & strong hold
- Digital Controls with Temperature Lock
Don’t believe us? Here are 5 simple steps to curling your hair with a flat iron:
How to Curl Your Hair With A Flat Iron
- Spritz with a heat protectant spray. Create a center part first and make sure you thoroughly spray every area of your hair. You should be doing this every time you put a flat iron to your hair, regardless of the purpose.
- Start with the hair closest to your neck. If you’re using a 1.25″ flat iron you want to feed your hair through in 1″ sections. The section of hair you choose should always be a little bit smaller than the area of the hot plates. Always twist away from your face and make sure your hair is curling over, not under, your iron. Curl the section of hair so it wraps around your flat iron towards the bottom.
- Work towards your hairline. Make sure you’re always feeding your hair into the flat iron a little bit above mid-length so your curls start closer to the top of your head and look more natural.
- Curl the section that grows from your hairline last. This hair should take the smallest amount of time to curl as it usually isn’t as thick as the rest. Make sure you clamp the hair around mid length and always turn the iron away from your face. Do this on both sides.
- Break up the curls. You can do this either by running your fingers through the fresh curls or by using a boar bristle brush to get a more uniform finish. This spreads your curls out and helps your hair appear thicker.
Now that you know how to curl your hair with a flat iron, here are some of the best flat irons you can use to curl your hair.
|Remington S9520 Salon Collection Ceramic Hair Straightener with Pearl Infused Wide Plates||Built with round-edged ceramic plates with dual heating system; choose between 5 temperature settings of up to 450˚F; 15-sec heat up||Very Good||Affordable||4.3 / 5|
|T|Studio™ PROtect™||Uses macadamia conditioning treatment for smooth & shiny hair; built with easy-to-use digital temperature control of up to 450˚F in less than a minute; also available in a 2″ version||Very Good||Affordable||4.4 / 5|
|Remington S8510 Anti-Frizz Therapy Straightener, 1-inch, white||Built for frizzy hair types – works as hair straightener & curling iron; offers a limited range of temperature settings of up to 450˚F; heats up in less than a minute||Very Good||Affordable||4.5 / 5|
|T|Studio SILK||Combines ceramic technology & SILK for extra smooth plates; heats evenly in 15 secs with temperature lock; also features auto shut off for safety & energy saving ability||Superb||Affordable||4.7 / 5|
Best Flat Irons For Curling Hair
Remington S9520 Salon Collection Ceramic Hair Straightener with Pearl Infused Wide Plates
This straightener has ceramic plates with rounded edges that prevent fine hair or tight curls from snagging. It also uses a dual heating system to make sure the heat remains even throughout the whole thing. You can choose between 5 temperature settings with the highest being 450F. Last but definitely not least, 15 second heat up makes this the fastest flat iron you will ever own.
One of a handful of new straighteners to contain vapor infusion technology, the T|Studio™ PROtect™uses a macadamia conditioning treatment to keep your hair smooth and shiny even through daily use. Unlike several of its competitors the T|Studio™ PROtect™ also has an easy-to-use digital temperature control that can go all the way up to 450F in less than a minute. You can also get this in a 2″ form.
Remington S8510 Anti-Frizz Therapy Straightener, 1-inch, white
If you don’t have particularly long or thick hair but it does happen to be frizzy you will love this flat iron as both a straightener and a curling iron. It offers a limited range of temperature settings with the highest one at 450F and heats up in less than a minute.
This unusual flat iron contains a combination of ceramic technology and SILK to provide extra smooth plates that heat evenly in 15 seconds. As well as temperature control you also get a temperature lock to prevent you from accidentally pressing buttons and burning your hair. If you tend to be in a rush in the morning’s you’ll also love the auto shut off which prevents all kinds of dangerous accidents(not to mention burn stains).
A high quality flat iron may cost a little bit of extra money but these options are quite affordable and can save you from also having to buy a curling iron. If you’re going to splurge on yourself there are few better ways to do it.