The perfect shampoo for your itchy scalp – Buyer’s guide
If you are suffering with an itchy dry scalp, usually the biggest culprit is a wrong shampoo being applied on the scalp. Try a change of shampoo before you book expensive appointments with the dermatologist. Here are some things you should look for when buying a shampoo for itchy scalp.
Our # Choice
Why we picked this product:
- Generates thick lather & fights dandruff outbreaks
- Contains 1% Ketoconazole for flaking, scaling & itch control
- Loved by many users
1. Choose SLS-free shampoos: One of the major culprits in your shampoo which dries hair and cause redness and itching is this compound Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS for short). Select shampoos after carefully reading the list of ingredients to make sure SLS is not in them.
2. Avoid Silicones: Silicones are used in many a smoothing and straightening shampoos, serums and conditioners. They form a layer on the hair and scalp and potentially suffocate the skin, aggravating the itch. Avoid all shampoos which have ingredients ending with -methicone.
3. Try anti-dandruff shampoos: Itching associated with flaking is usually due to a fungal infection, which can be treated with anti fungal shampoos that contain zinc pyrithione, coal tar, tea tree oil, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide or piroctone olamine.
4. Salicylic acid: This is a good ingredient to look out for, if your itchy scalp is due to proven case of psoriasis. It is one of the mildest anti dandruff agents used in shampoos and will do a world of good for your dry scalp.
5. Soothing ingredients: Natural extracts of tea tree and green tea are proven soothers used in anti itching shampoos. They decrease itching in the short term and also have added anti fungal and antiseptic benefits, which can soothe sores of psoriasis also.
6. Match the shampoo to your hair type: Irrespective of the ingredients, always make sure to know your hair type, whether its greasy or dry, straight or curly and choose the appropriate shampoo for it. Using a shampoo meant for greasy hair on dry hair will worsen matters.
7. Moisturizing shampoos: Any shampoo that you would use for an itchy scalp, be it anti dandruff or a hair nourishment one must also have significant moisturizing ingredients in them to alleviate the dryness of the scalp. Popular ones are Aloe vera, almond and apricot oils to name a few.
Take a look at these 10 top brands and products…
We have reviewed for you and choose the best shampoo for your needs. Most of the choices are moderately priced, very much affordable and give the best value for your money. All of these are available offline in drug stores nationwide and many can be purchase easily online!
1. Head and Shoulders Anti dandruff Shampoo
The mainstream workhorse. It is so popular for a reason. Works well for most hair types.
2. Jason Natural Cosmetics Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
As mentioned before, tea tree oil is a godsend for dry itchy scalps. Guaranteed to show positive results in a couple of weeks.
3. Mineral Fusion Anti dandruff Shampoo
Contains multiple nourishing minerals and Salicylic acid for anti dandruff action. 100% vegan and parabens – free.
4. The Body Shop Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo
Yes, The Body Shop does have anti dandruff shampoos and this one is particularly good. Say hello to shiny dandruff free hair.
5. Nizoral Anti Dandruff Medicinal Shampoo
Armed with 1 % Ketoconazole, this is a medically prescribed shampoo for getting rid of dandruff.
6. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo
Primarily a moisturizer with almond and apricot oils, this has added benefit of being anti dandruff, thanks to zinc pyrithione present in it.
7. Aubrey Organics Primrose and Tea Tree Scalp-Soothing Shampoo
Aloe vera and tea tree help to soothe any itching, while primrose leaves your hair with a great smell and shine.
8. Clear Scalp and Hair Therapy Nourishing Shampoo
Contains Nutrium 10, a mix of essential nourishing vitamins for youthful hair and a healthy scalp.
9. Redken Dandruff control Shampoo
Most anti dandruff shampoos take 2-3 weeks to show visible results. Redken claims to cut this time by half and show results right from the first use.
10. Biolage ScalpSYNC Anti Dandruff Shampoo
Combined with mint leaf extracts and pyrithione zinc.
Best Shampoo For Itchy Scalp
Top 6 Revealed – Detailed Reviews…
| || || || ||
|Itchy Scalp Shampoo from Just Natural||Free from sulfates or colors; contains Calendula & Nettle extracts; also contains extracts from Willow Bark that gently removes dead skin on scalp||Good||Mid-Range||4.0 / 5|
|Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength Shampoo||Best solution for excessive & persistent dandruff; designed to keep scalp from being coarse & dry; contains selenium sulfide that provides relief for dermatitis, dandruff and their effects||Very Good||Mid-Range||4.5 / 5|
|Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo||Designed for stubborn scalp itch; comes with soothing effect of Menthol; controls scalp redness & flaking from irritation + other scalp conditions like dermatitis, etc||Very Good||Mid-Range||4.3 / 5|
|Nizoral A-D||Very effective in answering the problems brought by dandruff; takes care of drying, flaking, & itching; gentle for grey or color-treated hair||Excellent||Low||4.7 / 5|
|Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo||Gentle shampoo good at moisturizing hair + shine; contains apricot & almond oils which contain anti-dandruff component - Pyrithione Zinc; eases scalp & prevents dryness||Very Good||Mid-Range||4.6 / 5|
|Mineral Fusion Shampoo for Dandruff||Dandruff shampoo for vegans; contains mineral salts to nourish scalp & hair; contains salicylic acid, to relieve scalp from itching & drying||Very Good||Mid-Range||4.1 / 5|
Itchy Scalp Shampoo from Just Natural Products
First, this shampoo does not contain any sulfates or colors. This is good news, as you don’t have to worry about components that could irritate your scalp. Then again, it contains extracts from Calendula and Nettle, which have been used to ease itch in the scalp for centuries. The Itchy Scalp Shampoo from Just Natural Products also contains extracts from Willow Bark, which reduce flaking by removing the dead skin on your scalp in a very gentle manner. Furthermore, this shampoo is full of anti-bacterial components like Andiroba and Neem. Then again, this product is full of moisturizing oils, which are light to avoid weighing down your hair. With all these properties, the Itchy Scalp Shampoo could just be the best shampoo for itchy scalp.
Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength Shampoo
Does your scalp have excessive and persistent dandruff that barely responds to any treatment? Well, the head and shoulders clinical strength shampoo could just be your best solution. This shampoo is designed to keep your scalp from being coarse and dry; and from feeling itchy. It contains selenium sulfide, which has been clinically proven to provide relief from dermatitis, dandruff and their effects. It also restores moisture to your hair, without leaving you feeling oily.
Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo
The Neurogena T/Gel Shampoo is designed for the stubborn scalp itch. With the soothing effect of Menthol, it effectively takes care of persistent scalp itch. This shampoo also controls scalp redness and flaking from irritation and other scalp conditions including dandruff and dermatitis. Moreover, it has a component known as Neutar, which has been shown to remain effective for scalp therapy even after rinsing out the shampoo. The Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo also has conditioners designed to leave your hair very soft and easily manageable. One more unique thing with this product is that it has been recommended by dermatologists.
As a matter of fact, a dandruff outbreak could hit hard especially if your go to public salons or barber shops. Fortunately, the Nizorala-D Shampoo for dandruff is here as a very effective remedying strategy. With the use of ketoconazole, this shampoo takes care of the drying, flaking and itching results of dandruff. This shampoo is effective and gentle for you even if your hair is grey or color-treated. Then again, it has cool fragrances that add a fresh scent to your hair.
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo
Do you seek the shampoo that will be most gentle on your hair? The Neutrogena Triple Moisture could end your search. This shampoo is also good at moisturizing the hair, thus giving it a shining touch. Neutrogena Triple Moisture contains apricot and almond oils, which contain a unique anti-dandruff component called Pyrithione Zinc to ease your scalp and keep it from drying.
Mineral Fusion Shampoo for Dandruff
Are you a vegan? The Mineral Fusion Shampoo for dandruff is meant for you. This shampoo contains mineral salts to help nourish your scalp and hair. Furthermore, it contains salicylic acid, which helps relieve your scalp from itching and drying.