Best Soap for Tattoos: 4 Top Options
We all want to keep our tattoos looking great, but we don’t want to risk skin infections and irritation after getting new ink. Any tattoo artist will tell you that it is important to keep your tattoo clean. It’s important to remember that once you get a tattoo, it’s there for life, so make sure you take care of it.
Finding the right soap for tattoo aftercare can be difficult with all the options out there. To help you find the right product for your tattoo care, we’ve put together a product guide about the best soap for tattoos.
We picked a diverse offering of products to give you several choices that work for different skin types, allergies, and lifestyles. Hopefully, this guide has an option that is just right for you. To help make the selection process easier, we’re including a brief description of the product followed by the key specifications as well as the pros and cons.
Best Soap for Tattoos
For this guide, we are comparing 4 of the top options for your body ink. We’ll be looking at each ingredient, how it impacts your body, the cost, and many other factors that influence how each one performs. We’ll also be giving you options for use on sensitive skin, as well as what type is best for hands, body, a fresh tattoo, and other conditions so that you have the right soap for your specific needs.
Tattoo Goo Deep Cleansing Soap for Tattoos and Body Piercings
- KILLS BACTERIA, SPARES YOUR SKIN - When choosing a soap you want to pick one that cleans but is not harsh on the skin. Soaps that are too harsh can dry out the skin causing safe harbors for bacteria and viruses to hide in making it very difficult to get a good kill on the skin. This formula has a slightly acidic pH and contains a key ingredient which helps to buffer the skin while providing additional killing power.
- GENTLE ON THE SKIN - Tattoo Goo Deep Cleansing Soap is formulated to provide a broad spectrum kill while at the same time being gentle on the skin.
- CLEAN ON A DEEPER LEVEL - The key ingredient is PCMX-L a combination of chloroxylenol (PCMX) and sodium lauryl sarcosinate (Lauricidin). Lauricidin is a derived from palm seed extract with a unique and proprietary process which provides a molecular structure capable of cleaning the skin at a deeper level. PCMX is a well-documented antimicrobial and antibacterial ingredient. By combining these two ingredients you get a fast acting, broad spectrum kill without damaging the skin.
- SQUEAKY CLEAN, LITERALLY - You will have a distinct squeaky clean that you can actually feel. This happens because the product cleans at a deeper level where more dirt and dead cells are removed exposing the clean emerging layer of skin. The soap is designed to provide a sheeting action when rinsed.
- SUPERIOR SKIN CARE - We’ve worked with artists and dermatologists to develop high-quality products for every phase of the tattooing and piercing process, including stuff that make the job easier. Not like other soaps that may leave residue on the skin, which can contribute to skin problems as they prevent the skin from breathing properly, leading to dried out skin.
Tattoo Goo is a gel-based soap that cleans the skin without damaging it. Many soaps are very harsh on the skin, which can lead to damage and buildup of bacteria that can cause infections.
Tattoo Goo helps get you clean and prevents the buildup of bacteria. The slightly acidic formula helps to kill germs while cleaning the tattooed skin underneath. The soap is designed so that it cleans the skin deep down and washes off easily when rinsed.
Tattoo Goo is specifically formulated to help your skin through each step of the tattoo healing process. You won’t find this formula in other tattoo soaps. This antimicrobial and antibacterial soap is perfect for getting a deep-down clean while preventing skin irritation. Tattoo Goo also helps to preserve tattoo ink and prevent fading and other problems.
The pH-balanced formula is designed to help the active ingredient cleanse the skin without causing a negative reaction. The antibacterial properties are magnified by the slight acidity of the soap, which helps it penetrate deeper into the skin than bar soaps and other topical tattoo wash products.
Weight: 2.75 Ounces
Dimensions: 5.3 x 3.1 x 2.7 inches
Ingredients: Olive oil, beeswax, cocoa butter, wheat germ oil, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), lavender oil, sunflower oil, rosemary extract, D&C green 6
- Good for any skin type
- Antibacterial and antimicrobial properties prevent bacterial infection
- Specifically formulated for tattoos and piercings
- Best antibacterial tattoo soap for sensitive skin
- No harsh chemicals or harsh ingredients
- Contains numerous natural oils for cleansing dead skin
- Very popular tattoo cleanser
- Highly acidic can cause dry skin
- Not the best body soap
- Price is higher than traditional bar soap
H2Ocean 1.7 Ounce Blue Green Foam Soap
This soap by H2Ocean is a tattoo wash that is part of their complete tattoo care line. The soap is vegan, paraben-free, and perfect for healing tattoo-related skin. Another deep cleansing soap for tattoo care, the Blue Green foam soap is designed to remove oily skin while keeping skin hydrated.
Unlike regular soap, this product has antibacterial properties that help reduce the risk of infection while being part of a complete skincare routine. For this type of soap, it is best to apply to tattooed skin in circular motions under warm water, which helps open up pores and promote deep cleansing. You can then rinse off the excess soap using the same warm water.
Rubbing the soap into the affected area with water helps prevent scabbing, redness, and inflamed skin. Issues with skin irritation, redness, and inflammation can ruin your tattoo, so it is best to use a soap that promotes recovery and prevents those issues.
Weight: 1.7 Ounces
Dimensions: 1.38 x 1.38 x 5.13 inches
Ingredients: Benzalkonium Chloride, Purified Water, Poloamer 188, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Disodium EDTA, Salt
- All-natural ingredients
- Great for a fresh tattoo
- Gentle cleanser
- Liquid cleanser can be used throughout tattoo recovery process
- No harmful chemicals
- Must be applied in circular motions like a lotion with warm water
- Only one part of the Ocean Care routine
- Should be used several times a day
Billy Jealousy Make Your Mark Tattoo Wash
- Item Package Length: 5.9cm
- Item Package Width: 6.3cm
- Item Package Height: 22.3cm
- Item Package Weight: 0.54kg
Made to function more as a body wash, this tattoo cleanser is very popular for its moisturizing properties and its ability to promote the healing process. The wash is easy to apply and is a great option for getting your entire body clean, including your precious tattoo. Each ingredient, like cucumber extract and lavender oil, makes the wash great for sensitive skin as well as tattoo aftercare.
Applying the wash is easier than similar soaps for tattoos. You can apply it in the shower as part of your body wash routine and even use it to get your dirty hands clean. You can use lukewarm water or even regular hot water to apply the wash to the affected area then simply rinse clean and pat dry with a paper towel or regular towel. Keeping the area clean and dry will help it heal. Washing with this product helps to remove dead skin cells and revitalize the ink to keep your tattoo looking new.
Weight: 1.19 Pounds
Dimensions: 2.3 x 2.3 x 8.8 inches
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl Oleoyl Turate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Glycol Stearate, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Glycolic Acid, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Polyquaternium-10, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Ananas Sativa (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Aminomethyl Propanol, Hydrolized Oat Protein, Tetrasodium EDTA, Panthenol, Sodium Chloride, Hydrolized Quinoa, Citric Acid, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxycitronellal, Blue 1 (Cl 42090)
- Designed specifically for aftercare
- Full body wash can be used for dry skin, acne breakouts, and other issues
- Easy to apply
- One of the most popular soaps for tattoo cleaning
- Highest price on our list
- Large number of ingredients
- No specific antibacterial properties
- Should only be used after the first two weeks of getting a tattoo
Dial Antibacterial Deodorant Bar Soap
- FRESH FRAGRANCE: Experience a pure, fresh feeling of clean and long-lasting deodorant protection.
- KILLS BACTERIA: Trusted antibacterial deodorant protection technology that kills odor causing bacteria long after you wash.
- ODOR PROTECTION: Round the clock odor protection to help you feel clean and fresh all day long
- MOISTURE BALANCE: Clean rinsing and hydrating formula for the perfect balance of clean and moisturized.
- CREAMY LATHER: Formulated to provide creamy, moisture rich lather that washes away bacteria without drying skin
Our final entry on the list is a classic bar soap. While it isn’t designed specifically for tattoo care, it is still an antibacterial soap with an excellent price that is effective for tattoo aftercare. The soap itself is a great lathering body soap that gets skin completely clean and fights bacteria and odors at the same time.
Unlike liquid soaps, you can get plenty of use out of these bar soaps. A bar of soap has no special application instructions, just scrub the skin how you would while bathing. The creamy lathering soap is good for delicate skin, helps with the aftercare process, and has an unbeatable price.
If you’re looking for a guaranteed clean without a lot of frills or extra ingredients, then this is the right choice.
Weight: 4 Ounces (Per Bar)
Dimensions: 3.2 x 2.3 x 3.5 inches
Active Ingredient: Benzalkonium Chloride
- Fights bacteria and odor
- Lathers to moisturize dry skin
- No special use restrictions
- Not specifically designed for tattoo care
- Won’t prevent ink fade or other problems
All of the soaps we’ve chosen for this guide are great for taking care of the daunting task of tattoo cleaning. However, if you’re stuck on which one to choose for your needs, we can certainly see why. To help you make the right decision, we’re going to break down the options based on specific categories we’ve identified.
Best Overall Tattoo Soap: The Tattoo Goo Deep Cleansing Soap for Tattoos and Body Piercings is our top pick overall. Based on user reviews, name recognition, and what the soap offers, this was our clear winner when it came to quality care for your tattoo. The antimicrobial and antibacterial formula is simply the perfect choice for keeping your tattoo clean and infection-free. Not only that, the pH balance of the formula allows it to scrub the skin clean without being overly damaging.
Best Value Soap: The Dial Antibacterial Deodorant Bar Soap is our pick for the best value for the price. Coming in packs of 3, these packs of bar soap are great when you just want to get clean. There’s no need for special instructions. Just wash your body the way you normally would and you’re guaranteed a fresh and moisturizing clean.
Best High-End Soap: The Billy Jealousy Make Your Mark Tattoo Wash is our pick for a high-end tattoo wash. The price per bottle is high for a wash product, but we can’t deny the benefits. If you prefer something that takes good care of your skin and you don’t mind that it won’t last as long as some competitor products, then this is the right choice for you.
Best Care Routine Soap: The H2Ocean 1.7 ounce Blue Green Foam Soap is our top pick as an aftercare routine soap. While it won’t do the entire job by itself, when you pair it with other Ocean Care products, you’ll get a tattoo care solution that is unmatched. If you’re after a complete tattoo care routine, then we recommend you start with this soap.
We hope that this guide has given you all you need to know about soaps for tattoos and how these 4 best soaps for tattoos are right for your tattoo care. We know every situation — and every tattoo — is different, but we hope this information will help you make the right decision to stay healthy while protecting that incredible new ink.